Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Gambling Problem, 19/365

I am not much of a gambler, but once in a while, I'll see a snack partially stuck in the vending machine and know that there is a good chance that I can get two for the price of one.  I faced a similar situation today.  The treats were not as good, but quantity made up for quality.  Obviously, I was not the first person to have this idea, because there were three bags of popcorn and a bag of pretzels all holding on by a thread, just above the pickup area.  

A careful evaluation of the situation was required.  Is there anything heavy (and preferably delicious) above this mess, like a Milkyway or Twix?  No.  Nothing heavy.  However, there was a bag of Keebler Elfin Crackers three rows up that looked like an acceptable treat.  They had the red heart sticker beside the price, indicating a healthy choice.  Granted, they don't weigh very much, but perhaps the additional velocity from the added distance would be enough.  I estimated about a 40 percent chance that it would knock the whole works down, a 55 percent chance that the crackers would hit, but not break the motherload of treats, and simply fall to the pickup chute alone.  Oh, and that leaves a 5 percent chance that my crackers would actually get stuck on top of the three bags of popcorn and one bag of pretzels.

I really need to learn that gambling is not worth it.  Today, I got a taste of the price of greed.  And that price, was 80 cents.  But, I didn't feel so bad after I walked by the vending machine later and saw that someone else added another bag of pretzels to the pile after I left.  :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment