Thursday, January 20, 2011

King, sun dogs, 20/365

You see some interesting people around downtown Des Moines.  But, I usually don't actually meet them on my walks.  Today, I fully intended to go outside over lunch and even had a subject picked out.  But, it didn't take long to decide that maybe it would be a nicer day to stay inside.  So, I was walking through the skywalk, taking a couple unexciting pictures.  I had a camera around my neck.  I usually try not to have a camera visible, for security reasons.  But, this time, it was out in plain view.


I was walking along and noticed someone walking in my direction.  He saw the camera and asked me, "Hey, do you want to take my picture?  I'm a real king."  I replied, "You're a real king?"  And he answered, "Yeah, do you want to take my picture?"  Now, how could I turn down the opportunity to photograph a "real" king?  He introduced himself as Moses, and I snapped one quick picture.  He told me to have a nice day, and walked away.  


Now, this whole exchange took place over the course of about 30 seconds.  I would have loved to have moved him away from the windows for some better light and background.  But, this is how he posed himself, without any external influence.  At first, I thought he was just spreading his arms as a symbolic "king" action.  It wasn't until later when I looked at the picture closer that I realized he put his feet together also, like Jesus on the cross.




I'm going to break my "one picture" rule again today, because I don't know if I'll have another chance to photograph one of these this year.  I was on my way home from work and saw some nice sun dogs.  If you are not familiar with sun dogs, the ice crystals in the air on either side of the sun act like a prism and create a nice effect.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment