Monday, February 7, 2011

DIY macro technique, 38/365

Anyone who knows me is aware that I like to dabble with a million different photography techniques and do-it-yourself, odd ways of doing things.  Well, there are multiple different ways to do close up pictures, besides investing in a dedicated macro lens.  The technique I used for these shots was reversing lenses.  Basically, you take a lens which is not mounted on a camera, and reverse it to the end of a lens that is mounted on the camera.  So, the inside of the second lens is actually facing the subject.  It creates extreme magnification, probably even closer than the 1:1 ratio that my actual macro lens does.  I used my 50 mm lens on the camera.  For the second, reversed lens, I used an old Yashica 50 mm f/1.4, which came on a Yashica TL super camera.  $2 on a garage sale.  They make reverse filter rings to mount the lenses like this, but I just held them together by hand when I took the pictures.  Yes, there is vignetting on the edges, which I think just adds character to the technique.  So, without further ado, here are the results (make sure to click on them to view a little bigger)...




And just in case anyone was wondering what this looks like, so you can try it at home...  :-)



Questions and/or comments are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment