Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Post-storm snow day, 33/365

With the ugly forecast, they called the school closing already last night.  I decided to take a vacation day rather than working today, so we played Horseopoly and messed around all day.  I did brave the cold to get a picture.  Snow seemed the logical subject matter for the day.  This bike rack by the pool won't be getting any use for a while, although I was happy to hear that Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow this morning.  So we are supposed to be in for an early spring (I'll believe it when I see it.)



The sub-zero wind chills kept us inside for the most part.  And what better thing to do on a snow day than to get the dining room chairs and blankets and make a tent in the living room.




You have to be careful when you shoot snow.  It has a tendency to trick the camera's light meter.  The camera doesn't know that it's shooting snow, and thinks that it has to darken it to a middle gray (18%) shade.  Of course, that's a mistake.  Luckily, we are smarter than the camera and know that snow is supposed to be white.  To compensate, I overexposed by 1/3 of a stop.  It could have used a little more, but I didn't want to lose the shadow detail in the snow either.  The other thing I did was to shoot at ISO 200, even though it was plenty bright for a lower ISO.  The reason being, the 50d has it's peak dynamic range at that sensitivity.  With the combination of bright snow and dark shadows, I knew I would want to squeeze every little bit of range I could get out of the camera.


Well, time to go back out in the cold and blow out the driveway, although I'd rather be taking pictures of anything.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment