Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Gordon, 61/365

I hoped to get a picture for today over lunch, because it was to be a busy evening.  It was still a bit cold out, so I threw a camera over my shoulder and went for a walk in the skywalk over lunch.  There was a street performer playing guitar over by Capital Square for tips.  I've seen him performing before, but never stopped.  I'm really not much of a street photographer, I don't like to ask people if I can take a picture, nor do I like the intimidation factor of big, SLR cameras.  Well, I've always wanted to photograph this man, so I threw something into his guitar case on the floor in front of him.  Well, I need not have worried, he immediately thanked me and obviously seeing the camera, said I could take a picture if I wanted.


I've always been curious about what type of people street performers really are.  He turned out to be a very down-to-earth fellow named Gordon.  He said that he performs to give to charity, so he's giving back to society in his own way.  Gordon was a very interesting person to talk to.  He told me that he grew up in West L.A. and when he was 13, he wanted to go down to the harbor and get a job.  His mom told him that no one would want to hire a kid to do a man's job.  But, as soon as she turned around, he was out the door and on his bike heading down to the harbor.  He did get a job, cleaning 7 fishing boats a night for $20.  While that doesn't sound like much today, gas was 19 cents a gallon, and he was making more than either of his parents.


So, here's the part that is intriguing to me personally.  This is the second time I've photographed a stranger for this project.  The first time was back in January, when someone posed in the form of Jesus on the cross.  The day that happened, on the way home, I saw sundogs so I stopped and took a picture of that also, and blogged that I had to post both, because they were both unusual subject matter or events.  Well, the second time was today.  When Gordon introduced himself, he said I could find him on Facebook as "Sundog".  A strange coincidence?  Maybe.  But, Albert Einstein once said, "Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous."



No comments:

Post a Comment